Skip to main content

Things I Like


Going through a coffee-stand in the morning.

Getting a package in the mail. A Cure t-shirt, or some scholarly thing.

Walking out of my Hitchcock class on Thursdays.

Having someone be proud of you for doing well in school.

Being in the checkout, and something you buy is mysteriously on sale, ringing up cheaper than you expected.

Cute guys who smile when walking by.

Watching an X-Files episode where Mulder is rather affectionate towards Scully.

Getting compliments from strangers, especially when you weren’t intended to hear them. 

Feeling accomplished after writing a large paper, exercising, or doing errands.

Having doctors tell you you’re healthy.

New voicemails from someone you want to hear from.

Hearing a good song that you haven’t heard in forever.

Going to bed with freshly shaved legs.

When somebody makes eye-contact with you while driving and you both laugh.

Drinking a cold beer in the shower. Shhhh.

Fresh sheets and the smell of cookies baking.

Not being pregnant or married.

Finally going pee after having to wait forever.

When the cat runs fast to get inside.

Paying in exact change.

Giving somebody a gift you know they’re going to love.

Having fuckin’ perfect make-up or hair.

Having somebody listen to you when you’re upset.

Renting films I can name-drop at parties. Yes, the parties I never go to that are full of people who are interested in discussing such films. Someday…

Unloading groceries and putting each thing into its respective spot.  

Frozen mochas—but without whipped cream, because whipped cream and mayonnaise are frivolous.

Wrapping presents.

Going to concerts by bands I actually love.

Traditions and inside jokes I have with my family and friends.

Going to Amazon.com when I find out that a particular album exists and listening to those thirty second clips for the first time.

Being with the guy I love, while it lasts.

Steak and garlic bread. My poor arteries.

Acing a test.

Going for short walks in the wild and totally not being dressed for the occasion.

Being all despondent and introverted while listening to music in bed, or watching those highbrow movies.

When I see an attractive guy (and he sees me back!)

When my friends and family are happy and doing well.

Playing with dogs and cats that aren’t pieces of shit.

Catching allusions to snotty literati.

When I correctly answer a Jeopardy question.

I like broccoli.

 Being in the car when everyone is singing along to whatever is playing.

When I impress a customer at work.  

Having crazy dreams and boring people to death with insignificant details.

Telling people news they haven’t heard, and hearing their big reaction to it.

I like my life and myself among other things.

12/22/2008


 

Comments

  1. Being really good looking, and being able to say it without feeling really arrogant because, come on, it's true.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Knowledge Versus Experience

“The only source of knowledge is experience.” –Albert Einstein I sit in class and hear the unsure tittering of my classmates in response to the esoteric allusions to John Cage’s 4’33”, “Bartleby the Scrivener”, and The Lady from Shanghai . There is considerably less waving of the hands, shouting “Pick me! Pick me! I know the answer Mr. Prichard!” We sit in silence, and every once in a while—after severe awkwardness—someone will posit a theory, a theory so ambiguous and well, theoretical, that it circumnavigates all scrutiny due to its pure unintelligibility. Anything goes when you sound smart. The more books you’ve read, the more names of artists you’ve memorized, the more you feign aficion for Tom Waits or Guilluame de Machaut, the better your professors will love you. Memorizing works and quotes and formulas invented by others is only one aspect of becoming a seasoned intellectual. Limitless and instantaneous access to information via the internet, radio, television, p...

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I sometimes think that happiness is a personal responsibility. But what happens, then, if you can’t figure out what makes you happy? They are fleeting moments cushioned between the mundane and obscene. If I had to describe happiness regarding the big picture, abdicating all of the material pleasures life can offer, it’s merely to be understood. For me, art, and relationships--romantic or not--tend to be the main geyser for such a feeling. When I’m understood, my existence is validated. When your existence is validated, it temporarily quells the sometimes dormant, sometimes active yearning to know why in the fuck we are here. I think about my existence so far… I am navigating the path of the American dream. Subscribing to this path, I feel, sometimes, is an addiction to the illusion of stability, when life really comes down to chance. Or does it? I feel sickened by how much of my knowledge is theoretical. How can I understand ...

"Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?"

It’s been too long since I’ve written. I definitely feel corroded synaptic connections. I have been getting reacquainted with myself lately—with the person I was before I had to build a wall to dart about behind, like a meerkat, shooting arrows of cynicism from the safety of my hate turret. I have come to realize the existence of a fortress in my heart—and like the natives who could not see the Spanish ships approaching shore, I have been in complete fear and utter disbelief of its presence. My mission is to see with eyes unclouded by hate and venture out into this wild, wild world. The only constant is change—therefore, the future is science fiction, right? Five years ago I wouldn’t have believed the present. Would you have? Take a minute to gnaw on that. The things that I have experienced over the last 5 years, both good and bad, would be too inconceivable. I would have told you, exhaustively, however, about my desperation for the tangible: I want to live somewhere s...