Skip to main content

Push

How do you keep your flavor funky fresh?

I think of Rush’s new album and from what I’ve read and experienced at my tender age, I am convinced there are less right answers and that you just have to run harder. Not faster. Get it? I will delineate thusly.

“Sprint toward the finish line,” is what my beloved Mr. Dorman always said to lift morale at the end of the school year. If we apply this to the larger context, THE context, of life in general, then Rush is running harder than anything I’ve seen toward the finish line. Peart’s morality that has always been rooted in pragmatism has shifted. I’ve seen all too often the wild-eyed elder seizing the last drop of vitality life has to offer. The song Headlong Flight terrifies me. It’s all in past tense and the line “Oh I wish I could live it all again” really frightens me. What are you planning on doing, Neil? Are you packing for the next trip? It’s William Wordsworth who christened the phrase “spots of time,” to express how memories are never experienced linearly, and are rather flashes from life distilled down to a spark, a spark from the big steel wheels running ever harder into the ground, six feet under. Wordsworth also proposed that the closer one is to the “other side,” which includes children, the keener the sense of what lies beyond. It’s a magnetic pull, drawing you nearer, faster, the closer you approach. Our loving Watchmaker loving us all to death.

The direction I’m going is, I just graduated college and have received the final reprieve from having a gun held to my head to stay sharp. I want that fear and vitality forever. I have to learn to produce this from within. I’ve always watched and admired Neil’s allegiance to staying sharp and fresh. Rush has never stopped growing, Rush has never sold out. Come what may in terms of how I pay my future bills, I cannot ever give in, or cave in. I’m approaching the middle of the race—I’m in the thick of the wilderness and have already seen some of my friends puss out.

Humanity is hierarchical by nature and sees the world through categories. Many see only two types: the manly man and the metro man; the pioneer and the historian; the priest and the punk; the republican and the democrat. Funny thing, for all of us lies the same endgame. As we get older, we are pulled closer to the other side and that treadmill has you running so fast.  

I was looking out the window when I should have been looking at your face instead. Freeze this moment a little bit longer, make each sensation a little bit stronger. Experience slips away.

You couldn’t put it any better way. Thank God for Rush, despite whatever you were BU2B.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knowledge Versus Experience

“The only source of knowledge is experience.” –Albert Einstein I sit in class and hear the unsure tittering of my classmates in response to the esoteric allusions to John Cage’s 4’33”, “Bartleby the Scrivener”, and The Lady from Shanghai . There is considerably less waving of the hands, shouting “Pick me! Pick me! I know the answer Mr. Prichard!” We sit in silence, and every once in a while—after severe awkwardness—someone will posit a theory, a theory so ambiguous and well, theoretical, that it circumnavigates all scrutiny due to its pure unintelligibility. Anything goes when you sound smart. The more books you’ve read, the more names of artists you’ve memorized, the more you feign aficion for Tom Waits or Guilluame de Machaut, the better your professors will love you. Memorizing works and quotes and formulas invented by others is only one aspect of becoming a seasoned intellectual. Limitless and instantaneous access to information via the internet, radio, television, p...

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I sometimes think that happiness is a personal responsibility. But what happens, then, if you can’t figure out what makes you happy? They are fleeting moments cushioned between the mundane and obscene. If I had to describe happiness regarding the big picture, abdicating all of the material pleasures life can offer, it’s merely to be understood. For me, art, and relationships--romantic or not--tend to be the main geyser for such a feeling. When I’m understood, my existence is validated. When your existence is validated, it temporarily quells the sometimes dormant, sometimes active yearning to know why in the fuck we are here. I think about my existence so far… I am navigating the path of the American dream. Subscribing to this path, I feel, sometimes, is an addiction to the illusion of stability, when life really comes down to chance. Or does it? I feel sickened by how much of my knowledge is theoretical. How can I understand ...

"Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?"

It’s been too long since I’ve written. I definitely feel corroded synaptic connections. I have been getting reacquainted with myself lately—with the person I was before I had to build a wall to dart about behind, like a meerkat, shooting arrows of cynicism from the safety of my hate turret. I have come to realize the existence of a fortress in my heart—and like the natives who could not see the Spanish ships approaching shore, I have been in complete fear and utter disbelief of its presence. My mission is to see with eyes unclouded by hate and venture out into this wild, wild world. The only constant is change—therefore, the future is science fiction, right? Five years ago I wouldn’t have believed the present. Would you have? Take a minute to gnaw on that. The things that I have experienced over the last 5 years, both good and bad, would be too inconceivable. I would have told you, exhaustively, however, about my desperation for the tangible: I want to live somewhere s...