Skip to main content

I'd Rather be Abducted by Aliens than Alienated to Death

If Darwinian Theory supports survival of the fittest, then why are stupid people still around? People say the cogs, pawns, and peasants are necessary in comprising the foundation of our Capitalist hierarchy, well then, I understand. (For all the young punks saying ‘nuh uh’: Capitalism is inevitable according to your beloved teleological daddy Karl.)

Escalating friction between popular culture and high culture has resulted in news now being synonymous with entertainment. There is a problem here. Lindsay Lohan going to rehab is an abomination of humanity, not news. Even the most intellectual periodicals, such as The N.Y. Times have to succumb to such minutia in order to attract a sufficient amount of readers: “Lindsay Lohan: Portrait of the Party Girl as a Young Artist.”

Picture this: Flat-screen TVs are rooms in which there are hundreds of people—or channels—trying desperately to capture attention. Each succeeding company will take more drastic measures, abdicating all moral and ethical ground so they can rise in the food-chain, or at the very least, make the quota. Luxuries in life are not without their price… But if you were to act out that fantasy of taking the C.E.O., president, principal, you name him, and point a .45 between their eyes, the tell tale “What was I supposed to do?” comes out at last. Many people think life is so simple: Good, Bad, but understand the dichotomous nature of being human, because to be human is to err—an alibi, which, many use unjustly.

The alarm clock that beckons our roles as corporate sycophants instills entitlement within us everyday—nobody likes succumbing to others’ beliefs just so we can support our families. Suppressing such values creates a cesspool where addictions and vices flourish, ultimately ending in early graves. We survive through sacrifice, but is it really necessary to make a living this way? There is a pivotal moment in our lives where we either try to become ignorant towards these injustices, or act as martyrs, suffering silently, feeling helpless our entire lives. This pivotal moment happens at about age 4, for those wondering, and is essentially why there are two kinds of people in this world: those who get it, and those who don’t.  

Back to today’s issue: news. I’ve never really understood the power of attraction with propaganda or tabloids. Oh, wait a minute, it’s called SENSATIONALISM. For those of you lacking this one in your lexicon, the pleasure is mine:

–noun

1.
subject matter, language, or style producing or designed to produce startling or thrilling impressions or to excite and please vulgar taste.



The oldest medium of news is the newspaper—an industry, by the way, in terrible debt and in danger of disappearing—which appears to be the only medium still subject to laws of journalism: ethics, slander, and libel. The unfortunate matter is that the most popular medium of news is that which is broadcasted on television. Statistics try to communicate that only a microscopic fraction of citizens in the United States watch television, but it doesn’t appear that way to me. A census taken by the U.S. government in July 2007 shows the population at a staggering 301,139,947. According to the 2005 annual report on cable TV viewers, researchers at Journalism.org concluded that viewers of CNN topped out at 77.8 million during the month of Saddam Hussein’s capture. A more consistent average is at 44 million viewers per day. In other words, less than 1/6 of the American populace watches TV. But statistics have their issues, just as we all do. These viewers are interchangeable. And tell of the man who is isolated from other mediums such as the newspaper, the magazine, the internet, and the radio. It’s inescapable, and if you try to escape it, fine, but escape the people who are enthralled with the latest frivolities, and I will find you a lone man.

Who feeds it? Why do we feed it? What is news? Is news an industry that provides information on what is happening in the world that we, without it, would otherwise not know? Who chooses the information that is provided? Who chooses what audiences are catered to? Who decides that a show revealing ‘sting operations’ on prospective sexual predators is good for the head? The balance is tainted, biasness abounds, and if you rely solely on CNN, KOMO 4, KING 5, FOX NEWS, or MSNBC for a view of what’s really happening in this world, you are an unsavory type. Stop and take a look around you—attempt balance. 

This industry has catalyzed a voyeuristic society. Watching and having a reaction is a waste of energy, our sympathy and empathy is worthless to all these proposed victims. We actively let the news instill fear within us, and use it as excuse for a multitude of things, stress and paranoia. I quote the priest in Bulgakov’s The White Guard: “Faintness of heart is a great sin…”

So let’s not give cowardice and despair the privilege of sullying our endeavors. Turn off the TV.
4/24/2008

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knowledge Versus Experience

“The only source of knowledge is experience.” –Albert Einstein I sit in class and hear the unsure tittering of my classmates in response to the esoteric allusions to John Cage’s 4’33”, “Bartleby the Scrivener”, and The Lady from Shanghai . There is considerably less waving of the hands, shouting “Pick me! Pick me! I know the answer Mr. Prichard!” We sit in silence, and every once in a while—after severe awkwardness—someone will posit a theory, a theory so ambiguous and well, theoretical, that it circumnavigates all scrutiny due to its pure unintelligibility. Anything goes when you sound smart. The more books you’ve read, the more names of artists you’ve memorized, the more you feign aficion for Tom Waits or Guilluame de Machaut, the better your professors will love you. Memorizing works and quotes and formulas invented by others is only one aspect of becoming a seasoned intellectual. Limitless and instantaneous access to information via the internet, radio, television, p...

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I sometimes think that happiness is a personal responsibility. But what happens, then, if you can’t figure out what makes you happy? They are fleeting moments cushioned between the mundane and obscene. If I had to describe happiness regarding the big picture, abdicating all of the material pleasures life can offer, it’s merely to be understood. For me, art, and relationships--romantic or not--tend to be the main geyser for such a feeling. When I’m understood, my existence is validated. When your existence is validated, it temporarily quells the sometimes dormant, sometimes active yearning to know why in the fuck we are here. I think about my existence so far… I am navigating the path of the American dream. Subscribing to this path, I feel, sometimes, is an addiction to the illusion of stability, when life really comes down to chance. Or does it? I feel sickened by how much of my knowledge is theoretical. How can I understand ...

"Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?"

It’s been too long since I’ve written. I definitely feel corroded synaptic connections. I have been getting reacquainted with myself lately—with the person I was before I had to build a wall to dart about behind, like a meerkat, shooting arrows of cynicism from the safety of my hate turret. I have come to realize the existence of a fortress in my heart—and like the natives who could not see the Spanish ships approaching shore, I have been in complete fear and utter disbelief of its presence. My mission is to see with eyes unclouded by hate and venture out into this wild, wild world. The only constant is change—therefore, the future is science fiction, right? Five years ago I wouldn’t have believed the present. Would you have? Take a minute to gnaw on that. The things that I have experienced over the last 5 years, both good and bad, would be too inconceivable. I would have told you, exhaustively, however, about my desperation for the tangible: I want to live somewhere s...