I dream of childhood: The warmth, the
ignorance, and the right to dream big without responsibility or expectations of
executing plans.
I miss the illusion of safety. I had no worries or expectations.
I could live a day and not even exist in that I was not a person yet, the aspirations had not yet bloomed, and the damaged had not been done.
I was a blank slate, and each budding idea—a regurgitation of someone else’s—was prized as maturity. I was right, and when I was wrong, it was only a growing pain. Now, when I am wrong, I am wrong. I hurt people without knowing and hurt without knowing why.
I am alienated by these expectations. I’m no longer allowed to dream, but I have to work, and make others feel better about our fractured relationships.
My spirit is in shackles.
Rest is misconstrued as laziness.
I miss the illusion of safety. I had no worries or expectations.
I could live a day and not even exist in that I was not a person yet, the aspirations had not yet bloomed, and the damaged had not been done.
I was a blank slate, and each budding idea—a regurgitation of someone else’s—was prized as maturity. I was right, and when I was wrong, it was only a growing pain. Now, when I am wrong, I am wrong. I hurt people without knowing and hurt without knowing why.
I am alienated by these expectations. I’m no longer allowed to dream, but I have to work, and make others feel better about our fractured relationships.
My spirit is in shackles.
Rest is misconstrued as laziness.
Comments
Post a Comment