Skip to main content

An excerpt from the upcoming and yet highly acclaimed Gentlemen release

Love is the absurd catch-all term for the dichotomy that runs, destroys, and yet, saves our world.

To some, the word has a plethora of definitions and connotations—to others, love is love is love. The phrase "I love you" is a criminally lackadaisical attempt to express what one feels. Some of you may be puttering to yourselves, "But sometimes, saying 'I love you' is the only/perfect way to express something that you can't put into words! That's the beauty of love; it's so intense that it defies language!" Number one: you just used a semicolon, which you must never do, because it's showy and irrelevant—like a cocksucker. Number two: you just said "only slash perfect" in conversation, and annunciating punctuation is just as absurd as using a semicolon. Number three: this is just contributing evidence to the fact that "love" kills brain cells by making one utterly deficient in their vocabulary.

How is it then, that a term so broad, vague, and ambiguous can mean everything, and yet, nothing simultaneously?

The love a mother has for her child, the love a 17 year old has for their paycheck, and the love two people share romantically do have their differences, but if they are all lopped together under the same term, there must be one common factor that unites them. What is this factor? Is it a genuine interest in the other's well-being? Possibly, but I'm not so sure how that Taco Bell blood-money is going to feel when traded in for a new snowboarding jacket. Perhaps we will not count inanimate objects as valid things to love. I suppose then, a genuine caring for another's well-being does constitute as love, however, we must examine the subtle complexities that lurk beneath this otherwise warm and fuzzy situation. Have you ever said "I love you" to someone and finished the sentence inside your head with "and you're damn lucky because of it"? I use "lucky" not in the sense that I'm some inflatable carnival prize (or glittering thing inside a small light-blue box) but rather to reinforce the fact that there is an invisible list of check-boxes in which a person must achieve all of the checks in order to receive my love. This is should not be a horrifying realization, I mean, these checks are commonly accepted as: "You must be attractive", "We must have a few key interests in common", and "You cannot be my brother."
Anyway, Kat, it's your turn to fix my errors and institute your expertise. Iroquoy and Apache-style.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knowledge Versus Experience

“The only source of knowledge is experience.” –Albert Einstein I sit in class and hear the unsure tittering of my classmates in response to the esoteric allusions to John Cage’s 4’33”, “Bartleby the Scrivener”, and The Lady from Shanghai . There is considerably less waving of the hands, shouting “Pick me! Pick me! I know the answer Mr. Prichard!” We sit in silence, and every once in a while—after severe awkwardness—someone will posit a theory, a theory so ambiguous and well, theoretical, that it circumnavigates all scrutiny due to its pure unintelligibility. Anything goes when you sound smart. The more books you’ve read, the more names of artists you’ve memorized, the more you feign aficion for Tom Waits or Guilluame de Machaut, the better your professors will love you. Memorizing works and quotes and formulas invented by others is only one aspect of becoming a seasoned intellectual. Limitless and instantaneous access to information via the internet, radio, television, p...

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I sometimes think that happiness is a personal responsibility. But what happens, then, if you can’t figure out what makes you happy? They are fleeting moments cushioned between the mundane and obscene. If I had to describe happiness regarding the big picture, abdicating all of the material pleasures life can offer, it’s merely to be understood. For me, art, and relationships--romantic or not--tend to be the main geyser for such a feeling. When I’m understood, my existence is validated. When your existence is validated, it temporarily quells the sometimes dormant, sometimes active yearning to know why in the fuck we are here. I think about my existence so far… I am navigating the path of the American dream. Subscribing to this path, I feel, sometimes, is an addiction to the illusion of stability, when life really comes down to chance. Or does it? I feel sickened by how much of my knowledge is theoretical. How can I understand ...

"Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?"

It’s been too long since I’ve written. I definitely feel corroded synaptic connections. I have been getting reacquainted with myself lately—with the person I was before I had to build a wall to dart about behind, like a meerkat, shooting arrows of cynicism from the safety of my hate turret. I have come to realize the existence of a fortress in my heart—and like the natives who could not see the Spanish ships approaching shore, I have been in complete fear and utter disbelief of its presence. My mission is to see with eyes unclouded by hate and venture out into this wild, wild world. The only constant is change—therefore, the future is science fiction, right? Five years ago I wouldn’t have believed the present. Would you have? Take a minute to gnaw on that. The things that I have experienced over the last 5 years, both good and bad, would be too inconceivable. I would have told you, exhaustively, however, about my desperation for the tangible: I want to live somewhere s...